For Parota ( Indian flat bread)
- 100% whole grain wheat flour 3 cups
- 3 tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
- water about 1 cup
- Salt to taste
For Cauliflower – Potato Malaysian Kurma
- 2. Potato cut into cubes 100 gm
- Coconut milk, cashews about 10 nuts
- Cauliflower florets 100 gms
- Diced tomatoes 3 medium
- Diced onions 1 medium
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp, turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ground cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ground coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger 2 inch, Garlic whole clove both peeled and minced
- Salt to taste, cloves – 2, cinnamon sticks – 2, cardamon -2 for tempering, oil 1 tbsp
- Make the dough by adding water to the wheat flour little by little.
- Add salt to taste and oil and knead to form a smooth dough.
- Make small balls in your hands and roll it out into a circle as shown above in the picture. To prevent the dough sticking onto the rolling pin sprinkle dry flour before rolling it out into circle.
- Then fold the circle dough into folds just like you would make a paper fan.
- Now roll it up like a ribbon into doughnut shape as shown in the picture.
- Dust it off with dry powder and roll the doughnut shaped dough into a flat circle again.
- Cook it on a smooth surfaced griddle or tava or dosa pan. Cooked Parota is ready to eat as seen in the picture. This recipe is my mother-in-law’s.
- Temper the cloves, cinnamon, cardamon and keep aside with 1/2 tsp of oil.
- Add a table spoon oil to a fry pan and add ginger garlic paste, onions and temper it until the onions are golden brown.
- Add diced tomatoes to the above mix and temper it until it is cooked.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin and coriander powders and salt to taste.
- Add cauliflower and potato and add 2 cups of water and let it boil.
- Now add a cup of coconut milk along with ground cashew paste to the above mix and let it cook for 5-7mins. Now the Kurma is ready.
- Garnish with cilantro and tempered cloves, cinnamon and cardamon.
Use it as a dip with Indian flat bread (parota). Whole grain wheat flour is healthier rather than the all purpose flour (maida flour as it is chemically bleached to look white and is striped of all its nutrients) usually used in restaurants or road side shops.
Tip : You can use any whole grain flour like millet or quinoa mixed with whole grain wheat flour equally and follow the same recipe to make other kinds of whole grain flat breads.