Soaked channa 2 cups, potatoes 2 cubed, diced onions and tomatoes 1 cup each, cilantro, chopped green chillies 2, cilantro chopped 1/2 cup, tamarind paste 1/2 tsp, lemon juice 1/2 tsp, red chilly powder for spice 1 tsp, chat masala 1 tsp available in Asian grocery aisle or Indian store. Cocktail samosa frozen pack to bake and thin sev to garnish on top as shown in the picture above also available in Trader Joe’s or Indian store or Asian grocery. Oil 1 Tbsp and salt to taste. Water about 1 cup.
- Pressure cook chick peas soaked overnight and potatoes in a pressure cooker.
- Add a tsp of oil and saute the onions until translucent and then add tomatoes to it.
- Add chilly powder , chat masala , salt, tamarind paste and water and cook the onions until tender. Now add the pressure cooked chick peas and mashed up potatoes and let it boil until thickened.
- Now the chickpeas, potatoes, onions and tomatoes are cooked and ready to be set aside.
- Meanwhile bake the samosa in an oven for about 30 to 45 minutes at 375.
- Now cut the baked samosa and add it to the chickpeas mix.
- Then add finely diced onions and cilantro to it.
- Then add the thin Sev from the packet and garnish with finely diced cilantro.
- Squeeze in a dash of lemon juice.
- Tasty and healthy chat is ready to eat.
Optional you can add raitha ( yogurt mixed with diced onions and salt) or cilantro and green chilly blended sauce called chutney to the above chat.
This dish is rich in protein and fiber. It can be taken as a snack or appetizer or tried as dinner with bread like sandwich or a side with Indian flat bread, as it really fills you up.