- Soak 1 cup black rice for 8 hours and drain the excess water.
- Cook the soaked rice in a rice cooker with 2 1/2 to 3 cups water.
- Let the cooked rice cool down to room temperature.
- Add the cooked rice to a powerful blender with additional water about 4 cups.
- Blend it and strain it. Black rice milk is ready. Chill it in the refrigerator if you like it cold. Add palm sugar or raw sugar to sweeten it if you like.
- Add a 1/4 tsp of probiotic powder and a tablespoon of yogurt to the warm rice milk and let it sit for 6 hours.
- Rice kefir is ready to enjoy.
People or children who are sensitive or allergic to dairy can switch to a healthy tasty antioxidant rich black rice milk. Sensitivity to diary can cause mild symptoms like stomach upset, bloating, gastritis, congestion and/or allergic reactions like ear infections, severe congestion leading to wheezing or upper respiratory illness. I have personally seen tremendous improvement from ear infections from stopping cow’s milk and cheese for my son.
Also see the link that follows to see what research says about diary’s effects on health.